Bill Hindman: Train article brought back memories
May 17, 2017
"The Last Train" feature in the April 30 Steamboat Pilot brought back fun memories for me.
As a counselor at the Lowell Whiteman Camp for Boys, I met young men from the East and Midwest as they stepped off the train at the Steamboat Depot. This was in the early 1950s.
We then loaded them and their luggage into the camp truck and took them to the F.M. Light store to buy cowboy hats and boots to use for the eight weeks of summer camp. It was a very appropriate way for them to arrive in the wild west, and the train ride was a big part of it.
I enjoy your front page feature articles each week — always interesting and informative. Thanks to all who make the paper so outstanding.
Kiawah Island, South Carolina, and Clark
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: opinion/letters-to-the-editor/bill-hindman-train-article-brought-back-memories/
- Craig couple arrested on suspicion of stealing expensive mountain bikes from Steamboat
- Jail Report for July 15 to July 21, 2017
- Suspicious meat truck appears on Sixth Street: The Record for Wednesday, July 19, 2017
- Steamboat Resort gondola will not open July 21, but resort will extend summer season
- Some Steamboat-area trails closed as crews improve elk habitat